Friday, October 2, 2009

Day 6: Oven Floor


I cut the ceramic insulating board into the appropriate shapes using a jigsaw. The pieces were glued down with coupe dabs of liquid nails. [Note: Ceramic insulation is nasty stuff and needs to be treated as a hazardous material -- respirator, eye protection, gloves, etc.]

The insulation material loves to soak up water. Before setting the floor bricks in their fireclay-and-sand base, I had to liberally wet the board with water. I had to work quickly with the fireclay mixture as the board soaked the moisture out of it in seconds.

I wasn't too worried about the bricks overhanging a bit as I was planning to cover the entire oven in an oven enclosure. [This later changed, requiring some remedial cutting with a masonry saw on an angle grinder!]

No comments:

Post a Comment