Sunday, October 4, 2009

Day 8: Arch Troubles!


It was time to spring the arch for the oven door. I quickly made a ply wood template and cut and laid in the arch bricks. Everything fit perfectly. I pulled the arch support and then trouble struck: the mortar on the piers supporting the oven door arch had not set enough and the thrust from the new arch started spreading the thrust blocks.

Some clamps quickly stopped the movement. At this point I also realized that the new arch could not adequately absorb the forces from the incomplete oven dome rings. More clamps, and some bricks for counterweights helped get me back on track. At the end of the day, I had the oven opening and 4 courses.

I love the look of the oven at this point with the clean interior and the bristle-block exterior. I wish it could stay this way!

No comments:

Post a Comment