Monday, October 26, 2009

First Firings


Everything was really wet after the storm so I let everything dry out for a week then did a test burn of a couple wads of newspaper and a chunk of 2x4. Smoke started leaking out of some hairline cracks around the bricks at the top of the dome. After things cooled down I pushed additional mortar into these joints with a grout float. Two days later I fired it again with a slightly larger pile of stove wood (a half dozen pieces) no smoke out of the dome! However, a lot of smoke out the oven door. It seems my flue opening is much to small! I may need to rebuild it, or cut out some material with a grinder sometime in the future.

You can see how small the opening is in the picture. Smoke skirts the edges of the opening and swirls out the front, especially if the wind changes direction to blow from behind the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment