Monday, September 14, 2009

Day Zero: Choices

Before I can start I have to make two choices: What kind of oven, and where should it be.

The first choice was pretty simple: I decided to go with a design based on the free Forno Bravo "Pompeii Oven" plans. The plans can be downloaded for free from the Forno Bravo website. The plans have been used by hundreds of oven builders and the site also has a great oven builder forum.

My second choice was: where should I build it?

I had already planned a backyard kitchen area but not planned for an oven, so I spent a little time sussing out the best location. I narrowed it down to two possible locations: In a corner of the existing kitchen, or on a new pedestal where I was originally planning to build a (now banned by AQMD) outdoor fireplace. I sought out my neighbor for the final judgment.

It's going to go here. Just need to remove that old fence post... And build a base...



I put together a materials list for the base and oven. Everything but the special refractory oven items was available from West Los Angeles Building Materials. The refractory mortar and insulation game from Laguna Clay in the City of Industry.

By the way, Forno Bravo has a Pompeii oven "kit" that you can order from them with all the materials that you need. It's a very god deal. I had to run around a lot to find what I needed, and I saved maybe $50-$100 dollars versus the kit. I also had to make due with some less than ideal materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment