Saturday, October 3, 2009

Day 7: Helpers!

With the base and floor done, I figured things would go pretty quickly from here. I convinced a couple of friends to come over and help.

I cut two quarter circles of plywood to the diameter of the finished oven dome and used these to true the floor and the dome vault. The great thing about these forms were that they would fit out the oven door so I could use them for all the courses, and they could be positioned wherever I needed them.

Generally this meant at the start of a course and under the brick I was working on. I also used them to check that the arc of the vault was staying true and to make corrections as needed.



With one person cutting bricks and me placing them it did go pretty quickly too a point -- but it ended up taking three times longer than I thought. [9-year-olds can help cut bricks, too!]
I had fabricated wood wedges to the correct angle needed between bricks. I used these a lot on the later courses, but the early courses went together without incident. Once the angle was set correctly on a few bricks in a ring, it was easy to "feel" the right angle on the remaining bricks in that ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment