Thursday, November 5, 2009

Day 12: Insulation

I'm now planning to keep the igloo shape, and because I didn't want to mess around with the vermiculite cement stuff, I decided to insulate with Cerablanket.



It's fairly easy to work with. 50 SqFt easily covered my 45" diameter dome. The blanket is held in place with a few galvanized wire straps anchored with concrete screws. The blanket really changes the shape of the oven. During the test firing yesterday the inside temperature at the back wall was around 500° right where the fire was, the outside temperature at the same location was 81°.


Next is to figure out how to encapsulate the oven and its insulation in a waterproof jacket. I have three ideas in mind:
  • Stucco; easiest to install, but perhaps the least interesting look-wise. I suppose I could cover the stucco with tile, brick, or...
  • Metal; this appeals to me as it would keep things going in the "steampunk" direction style-wise. I'm looking at both steel and copper as possible materials. Copper is appealing because I have the tools to work it. Steel -- rusty with big rivets and metal bands -- really appeals to me aesthetically, but is clearly a lot more work and I think I would need help forming the pieces.
  • An Andy Goldsworthy-style stone "pinecone."

No comments:

Post a Comment