Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Oatmeal on the Dome

With winter rains approaching as fast as the new year, it was time to get back to building. Waterproofing the dome is the next task that I need to complete. My plan was is as follows: wire mesh over the insulation, to be covered with vermiculite concrete. On top of the vermiculite concrete, I planned to apply a hard, water resistant, stucco shell colored to match teh existing stucco walls.



I used chicken wire for the mesh; it took me just an hour or so to nip and tuck it into a dome shape. This was loosely wired to the wires securing the insulation. The idea keep the mesh loose enoughy that about 3/4 to an inch of vermiculite concrete could be packed between the insulation blanket and the mesh.


Next step: the dreaded vermicultite concrete! I had been procrastinating about applying the vermiculite concrete for some time. It looked difficult and potentially frustrating. I have to say that my concerns were unfounded --- it turned out to be fast, simple, and surprisingly easy!

I picked up a 3.5 cubic-foot bag of vermiculite from Sunset Nursery on Monday. Then yesterday waited indoors all day while the Santa Ana winds blew 35-40 MpH over the hills and canyons.

Finally today, the winds calmed; so, wrapped up in an old sweatshirt and a hat, I braved the sunless, cold morning air; gathered tools, concrete and fireclay; and opened the bag of vermiculite. I mixed vermiculite, Portland cement, and fireclay to a 10:2:1 ratio, then added water to bring the mixture to a dry, oatmeal consistency. I pressed the mix into the mesh, and evened it out with a wooden float, working the material like one would work plaster or stucco.

It took me about an hour and a half to finish off the dome. Its wrapped in plastic and covered in canvas tarps to keep it warm over night. I'm very happy about the way it turned out! I guess nothing to fear but fear itself....

No comments:

Post a Comment