Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Changes

Summer is officially here--but the big news is three 3'x12' planters on the garage roof. I spent the Memorial Day weekend filling them with tons (literally) of dirt and my daughter planted beans, squash, corn, and some greens in two of the beds. The third bed will be planted with vegetable starts from the nursery.


The garage roof is flat, nearly 1000 square feet and gets full southern exposure to the sun year-round. It's also protected by a short bluff from Sant Ana winds, but gets the evening breeze to relieve the afternoon heat. Pretty much perfect!


In a month or so, I hope to be serving a pizza topped with squash blossoms from my own garden, plus easy access to basil and other fresh herbs.

1 comment:

  1. As of today, I noticed we have sprouting squash, arugala, and spinach.

    ReplyDelete